Adopt a Family
For over 20 years, The Assistance Center’s Holiday Program has been matching families in need with individual or group sponsors to provide for gifts for their children and one month’s worth of food at Christmas. These families meet low income guidelines or have been experiencing recent, unexpected financial stress due to various factors such as job loss, emergency car repairs or medical issues. Many of these families live paycheck to paycheck—while they work diligently to maintain a strict budget, any unexpected expense can send their financial situation into a tailspin.
As families are screened for the program, they compile wish lists for their children that include ‘Needs’ & ‘Wants’. Adopters are asked to purchase at least one gift from the ‘needs’ category and one gift from the ‘wants’ category. An adopter may purchase more should they choose to do so, or gifts for the parents, but neither is required by ACCC nor expected by the families. In addition, we provide one month’s worth of food for the family. The adopter does not need to purchase any food.
- Contact us at email@example.com or 972-422-1125 – let us know how many children you would like to adopt
- You may schedule a time to come into the office and view our book of families, OR we can send you a wish list and instructions via email
- Purchase at least two gifts per child (1 need, 1 want)
- Deliver gifts and food to your family on Dec 17 or Dec 18 (volunteers can also deliver if needed)
*In place of adopting a family, financial contributions to the Holiday Program are also accepted and will be used to purchase gifts for families that remain “un-adopted”. You can mail a check to the Assistance Center (900 18th St., Plano, TX 75074) and notate in the memo section “holiday program” OR donate via Paypal on our website – www.assistancecenter.org and under “special instructions to seller” type “holiday program”.
Host a toy drive
- Collect any toys/gifts for ages 0-18. These items will be used to stock our Christmas Store where families who request help after the adoption program is full are given the opportunity to choose gifts (at no charge) for their children. While all donations are accepted, our most needed items every year are gifts for tweens and teens! Click here for a list of ideas for these age groups. Items can be dropped off at the Assistance Center M-F 9am-3pm. All items are needed by December 9th.
- The Plano Santas Warehouse needs your help! In the weeks leading up to our delivery weekend, we will need volunteers to sort food that will be given to families. There will be an online sign up sheet available in early November. Please check back here at that time.
- Volunteers are also needed to deliver gifts and food to families on the delivery weekend. Please show up any time between 8am and 12pm on Saturday December 17th with your vehicle if you’re interested in delivering to families. A warehouse has not yet been identified this year, but we anticipate having a warehouse address no later than Dec 1. It will be posted here at that time.